Do I Need an Operators Licence?

If you are reading this because you are trying to find out if YOU need an operators licence, give us a call on 0800 158 8029. We are more than happy to talk about your situation and offer a course of action at no cost to you.

The Question

Dear *********

Following a call to your helpline (0300 123 9000), I have been advised to email you with my query to obtain a formal reply.

I have moved into the UK over 5 years ago.
I now intend to move all my belongings from my house in ******** to my house in the UK. This is all my furniture, some kitchen appliances and other personal items. I have purchased a 7.5 tonne Box lorry which I want to drive all the way from the UK to *******, load it with my belongings, drive back to my house in the UK and unload. I then intend to sell the vehicle.

My question is:
Do I need an operator's licence?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Kind regards

The DVSA's Answer

(Removed - Section 40 FOI Act)

I refer to your e – mail of 23 February, concerning the above.

Most goods vehicles with a gross plated weight of over 3.5 tonnes or, if there is no plated weight, an unladen weight of over 1525 kg require a goods vehicle operator’s licence, if they are used to carry goods or burden of any description in connection with a trade or business, or for hire or reward. The requirement also applies to vehicles used for infrequent periods - such as one day.

Therefore, where the above is not in connection with a trade or business (that is, for private use) then no operator's licence will be required.

(Note: it is advisable to contact the relevant authorities of the EU Member States that you are passing through, to find out about any individual requirements that they may have).

I should point out that this is in VOSA’s view and does not constitute legal opinion.

I hope that the information given above has been of some help. If you have any further queries, do not hesitate to contact me.


Click here to go back to the questions...

Free Advice!

About Operator Licensing?

Tel: 0800 158 8029