Single Vehicle Driver Training

The Question

I have a new client query from a man who has just left an established driver training company, where he was employed, looking to set up a single vehicle driver training sole trader establishment. He will more than likely have an 18T DAF rigid box lorry with a box trailer giving a max. GVW of 32T. He will take multiple drivers through the ropes toward their relevant LGV/HGV license qualifications. He will not have any employees.

Could you let me know if he will require an O license.

The DVSA's Answer

I refer to your e – mail of 12 January, addressed to the Central Licensing Office in Leeds, concerning the above. It has been passed to this office for reply. Please accept my apologies for the considerable delay in replying.

I can confirm that HGVs used for driver training purposes do not require operator's licences - provided that no load is carried on the vehicle. I should point out that this is in VOSA’s view and does not constitute legal opinion.

I hope that the information given above has been of some help. If you have any further queries, do not hesitate to contact me. Once again, please accept my apologies for the delay in sending a full reply.

Click here to go back to the questions...

Free Advice!

About Operator Licensing?

Tel: 0800 158 8029