Does my business require an operators licence?

If you are reading this because you are trying to find out if YOU need an operators licence, give us a call on 0800 158 8029. We are more than happy to talk about your situation and offer a course of action at no cost to you.

The Question

No question provided

The DVSA's Answer

(Removed - Section 40 FOI Act)

I refer to your e – mail of 15 January, concerning the above. Please accept my apologies for the considerable delay in replying.

Fuel bowsers

Most goods vehicles with a gross plated weight of over 3.5 tonnes or, if there is no plated weight, an unladen weight of over 1525 kg require a goods vehicle operator’s licence, if they are used to carry goods or burden of any description in connection with a trade or business, or for hire or reward. The requirement also applies to vehicles used for infrequent periods - such as one day.

Therefore, as fuel bowsers carry goods or burden (i.e the fuel) in our view they fall in to scope of the above.

Who requires the operator's licence?

To simplify matters here, it is the "user" of the vehicle (i.e whoever pays/has day to day control of the drivers) that should be the holder of the operator's licence, in cases where one is required.

Therefore, on the basis of the information supplied, the user of the vehicle would be advised to hold an operators' licence.

A restricted licence should be sufficient, provided that the user is carrying their own goods.

I should point out that this is in VOSA’s view and does not constitute legal opinion.

I hope that the information given above has been of some help. If you have any further queries, do not hesitate to contact me. Once again, please accept my apologies for the delay in sending a full reply.

Click here to go back to the questions...

Free Advice!

About Operator Licensing?

Tel: 0800 158 8029